Early Childhood Education Option, Master of Education in Education (M.ED.)
Early Childhood Education–certification optional: designed for graduate candidates to provide advanced knowledge of early childhood education in both certificated and non-certificated settings.
Designed to provide candidates with or without certification advanced study in areas of Early Childhood Education.
Note: candidates may or may not be certified teachers.
|Required Common Core|
|EDUC 522||TRANSFORMATION OF LEARNING AND TEACHING||4|
|or PSYC 515||ADVANCED EDUCATIONAL PSYCHOLOGY|
|Historical, Philosophical and Social Foundations of Education–choose two|
|EDUC 502||HISTORY OF AMERICAN EDUCATION||4|
|or EDUC 507||PHILOSOPHY AND ORGANIZATION OF THE AMERICAN SCHOOL|
|EDUC 505||CURRENT ISSUES IN EDUCATION||4|
|or EDUC 506||EDUCATIONAL SOCIOLOGY|
|Research and Applied Experience|
|EDUC 520||METHODS OF EDUCATIONAL RESEARCH||4|
|or EDUC 601||RESEARCH REPORT|
|Early Childhood Education Area Specialization Courses|
|EDUC 581||THE SCIENCE OF EARLY CHILDHOOD DEVELOPMENT: RISK AND RESILIENCE||4|
|EDUC 582||CURRICULUM AND PRACTICE IN EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION||4|
|EDUC 583||THE INTENTIONAL TEACHER||4|
|EDUC 584||POSITIVE LEARNING ENVIRONMENTS FOR YOUNG CHILDREN||4|
|EDUC 585||FAMILY ENGAGEMENT, SYSTEMS AND THEORY||3|
|EDUC 586||EARLY CHILDHOOD LEADERSHIP, POLICY AND PRACTICE||4|
Student Learning Outcomes—students will
- demonstrate advanced research based knowledge and skills in early childhood education;
- demonstrate effective practice in the implementation of learning activities which include: knowledge of content area; problem solving; use of technology;
- opportunity for student choice; motivation; collaboration and respect for diversity in a student centered learning environment;
- demonstrate professional leadership in the field;
- design and implement curriculum based on standards, knowledge, skills and professional dispositions from the Department of Education, state of Washington Professional Education Standards Board (PESB) standards and certification requirements and other applicable professional standards;
- demonstrate excellent communication skills necessary to communicate effectively with all constituencies, including students, colleagues, parents and community.