Literacy Option, Master of Education in Education (M.ED.)
Literacy–certification required: designed for classroom and reading teachers as they work toward an understanding of the role that literacy plays across the curriculum and over time. The program explores research and processes for teaching literacy in K–12 educational settings.
A copy of state teaching certificate must accompany the graduate application.
This program satisfies the endorsement for Literacy: Preschool to grade 12.
|Required Common Core|
|EDUC 522||TRANSFORMATION OF LEARNING AND TEACHING||4|
|or PSYC 515||ADVANCED EDUCATIONAL PSYCHOLOGY|
|Historical, Philosophical and Social Foundations of Education–choose two|
|EDUC 502||HISTORY OF AMERICAN EDUCATION||4|
|or EDUC 507||PHILOSOPHY AND ORGANIZATION OF THE AMERICAN SCHOOL|
|EDUC 505||CURRENT ISSUES IN EDUCATION||4|
|or EDUC 506||EDUCATIONAL SOCIOLOGY|
|Research and Applied Experience|
|EDUC 520||METHODS OF EDUCATIONAL RESEARCH||4|
|or EDUC 601||RESEARCH REPORT|
|Literacy Area Specialization|
|EDUC 542||LITERATURE STUDY IN THE ELEMENTARY AND MIDDLE SCHOOL||4|
|EDUC 544||ADVANCED READING METHODS ACROSS THE CURRICULUM||4|
|EDUC 560||READING INQUIRY||4|
|EDUC 576||ADVANCED LITERACY METHODS||4|
|EDUC 590||CRITICAL AND SOCIAL LITERACIES||4|
|EDUC 591||INSTRUCTIONAL FOUNDATIONS AND INTERVENTIONS FOR LITERACY DIFFICULTIES||4|
Student Learning Outcomes—students will
- demonstrate effective practice in the implementation of learning activities which include: knowledge of content area; problem solving; use of technology; opportunity for student choice;
- motivation; collaboration and respect for diversity in a student centered learning environment;
- demonstrate professional leadership in the field;
- design and implement curriculum based on standards, knowledge, skills and professional dispositions from the Department of Education, state of Washington Professional Education Standards Board (PESB) standards and certification requirements and other applicable professional standards;
- demonstrate excellent communication skills necessary to communicate effectively with all constituencies, including students, colleagues, parents and community.demonstrate knowledge of the role of literacy in K–12 classrooms and also provide evidence of their understanding of research and accompanying strategies for teaching and empowering literacy in K–12 educational settings.