Dental Hygiene, Master of Science (MS)
Master of Science in Dental Hygiene Program
The MSDH program offers opportunities for licensed dental hygienists who desire a graduate degree and have a baccalaureate degree. Our graduate program prepares graduates to assume roles in various employment environments and provides them with the tools to initiate as well as to adapt to change. Course work is designed to promote advanced communication and interpersonal skills, critical and reflective thinking, evidence-based decision making, problem-solving, technology and information literacy, interdisciplinary and interprofessional collaboration, scholarly inquiry and application, ethical and professional behavior, and the value of lifelong learning. Graduate education in dental hygiene is imperative for developing a cadre of dental hygiene professionals who lead the profession and assume leadership roles in health care and education, as well as the development of scholars to participate in the generation and dissemination of original research. Dental hygiene graduate education is based on a body of knowledge that is specific to the roles of the dental hygienist. To that end, students with faculty mentorship complete a practicum experience and a research thesis based on their chosen interest.
Students are required to come to EWU Spokane campus on two occasions, to attend a technology based course in the first Fall semester and to defend their thesis prior to graduation. All other coursework in this 40 semester credit online program is taught via Canvas, an online Learning Management System that allows students to submit assignments, contact the course instructor, collaborate with fellow students, participate in discussions and even videoconference from virtually anywhere.
Admission Requirements for MSDH Program
- Cumulative undergraduate GPA ≥3.0.
- Bachelor of Science in Dental Hygiene or related area from an accredited dental hygiene program in the U.S. or Canada. (Bachelor of Arts are considered on a case-by-case basis)
- Successful completion of the Dental Hygiene National Board exam or its Canadian equivalent.
- A current dental hygiene license in the U.S. or Canada.
- Current health care provider CPR certification.
In addition to the $50 university graduate application fee, there is an additional $50 departmental application fee. Applications to the Department of Dental Hygiene are not considered until they are processed in the EWU Graduate Studies Office and a copy of the transcript evaluation is sent from Graduate Studies to the Department of Dental Hygiene.Transcripts and inquiries should be directed to Ann O’Kelley Wetmore, director of the MSDH program. Information on program application and admission is accessed at the Dental Hygiene department web page.
|DNHY 502S||GRADUATE SEMINAR IN HEALTHCARE TECHNOLOGY||1|
|DNHY 505S||HEALTHCARE LEADERSHIP||3|
|DNHY 520S||RESEARCH METHODOLOGIES AND SCHOLARLY WRITING||4|
|DNHY 530S||INTRODUCTION TO THESIS||1|
|DNHY 605S||COMPONENTS OF PROGRAM DEVELOPMENT||2|
|DNHY 610S||HEALTHCARE EDUCATION THEORIES AND INSTRUCTIONAL METHODS||2|
|DNHY 615S||PRINCIPLES OF DENTAL HYGIENE COURSE AND CURRICULUM DESIGN||3|
|DNHY 620S||SEMINAR ON CONCEPTS OF PUBLIC HEALTH AND HEALTH PROMOTION||2|
|DNHY 625S||CLINICAL TEACHING STRATEGIES||2|
|DNHY 630S||SEMINAR ON HEALTHCARE POLICIES AND FINANCE||2|
|DNHY 640S||SEMINAR ON ADMINISTRATION, MANAGEMENT AND ORGANIZATION||2|
|PUBH 563S||RESEARCH, BIOSTATISTICS AND OTHER WAYS OF ‘KNOWING’||3|
Student Learning Outcomes—students will
- embody self-learning as a means to meet their full potential and contribute to making our community, our profession, and our world a better place to live;
- exemplify critical thinking, scholarly inquiry, and professionalism as a leader in the profession and community;
- exhibit the technical abilities, intellectual knowledge, and ethics necessary to collaborate and advocate for health policy challenges facing the health profession;
- implement evidence-based theories and methods in a culturally sensitive manner to provide comprehensive care and promote health and well being.