Counselor Education with School Counseling Emphasis, Master of Science (MS)
The Master of Science in Counselor Education: School Counseling emphasis is designed for students wishing preparation as counselors in school settings, primarily public schools.
Classes and experiences are organized to provide thorough grounding in the skills and knowledge generally recognized by the counseling profession. The program is accredited by CACREP and exceeds the Washington state requirement for ESA-School Counselor Certification.
Practical application is stressed and students are provided early and continuous skill practice with personalized feedback and coaching. Continuous opportunities for expanding awareness of the self of the counselor will be provided.
Note: successful completion of both a written comprehensive examination of conceptual attainments and an oral interview of practical applications is required.
|PSYC 506||COUNSELING DEVELOPMENT AND TRANSITION ACROSS THE LIFESPAN||4|
|PSYC 509||CLASSROOM MANAGMENT FOR THE SCHOOL COUNSELOR||3|
|PSYC 520||TACTICS PSYCHOLOGICAL RESEARCH||4|
|PSYC 540||INTRODUCTION TO SCHOOL COUNSELING||4|
|PSYC 542||CAREER COUNSELING||4|
|PSYC 544||COUNSELING THEORY AND TECHNIQUES||4|
|PSYC 547||ASSESSMENT: SCHOOL COUNSELING||4|
|PSYC 548||COUNSELING CHILDREN AND ADOLESCENTS||4|
|PSYC 569||FAMILY SYSTEMS AND PARENT EDUCATION||4|
|PSYC 575||DSM TREATMENT ISSUES FOR COUNSELORS||4|
|PSYC 580||CONSULATION IN THE COUNSELING PROFESSION||2|
|PSYC 582||ADVANCED SCHOOL COUNSELING||4|
|PSYC 583||GROUP EXPERIENCE||1|
|PSYC 584||GROUP THEORY||2|
|PSYC 585||GROUP PROCESS IN COUNSELING||2|
|PSYC 587||ADDICTIVE BEHAVIOR COUNSELING||4|
|PSYC 588||CRISIS INTERVEN AND TRUAMA COUNSEL||4|
|PSYC 590||DIVERSITY COUNSELING||3|
|PSYC 594||PROFESSIONAL ISSUES IN SCHOOL COUNSELING||2|
|PSYC 602||SCHOOL PSYCHOLOGY PORTFOLIO (1-6)||3|
|PSYC 694||PRACTICUM (1-8 must be repeated)||12|
|PSYC 697||INTERNSHIP IN PSYCHOLOGY (1-10 must be repeated)||15|
Student Learning Outcomes—students will
- assess community needs, design, implement and evaluate mental health programs and systems-Mental Health Counseling Emphasis;
- provide accurate assessment, diagnosis (where appropriate) and treatment planning for a diverse client population-Mental Health Counseling Emphasis;
- describe the ethical and legal considerations that govern the practice of mental health counseling-Mental Health Counseling Emphasis;
- utilize the American School Counseling Association’s National Model (a framework for school counseling programs) to develop an individual school’s comprehensive program -School Counseling Emphasis;
- describe and apply the counseling theories and techniques that have proven to be the most applicable to the K–12 school population-School Counseling Emphasis;
- describe and utilize the laws and ethics that govern the school counseling profession -School Counseling Emphasis.