Graduation Requirements

This is an archived copy of the 2015-2016 catalog. To access the most recent version of the catalog, please visit

Application for Graduation

Major/Minor Form

Application for graduation is required for any student seeking an undergraduate degree and must be submitted to the graduation evaluator, Records and Registration Office, second floor, Sutton Hall, by the published deadlines. Graduation application deadlines are available in Records and Registration , academic departments, the annual three term announcement. Timely submission provides an opportunity to review degree requirements and to plan or change course enrollment to ensure completion of all requirements.

Students who do not complete all degree requirements in the quarter of intended graduation must reapply for a subsequent quarter with the graduation evaluator. A reapplication fee may be assessed.

The graduation application fee and the reapplication fee change annually. For current fees, please see R ecords and Registration .

To Complete an Application for the Undergraduate Degree

  • Submit the Application for Graduation/Major/Minor Requirements approval form with all required faculty signatures to the Records and Registration Office, 201 Sutton Hall.
  • Pay the graduation fee in Student Financial Services (one fee for each degree), 202 Sutton Hall.

Catalog Options

The catalog in effect at the time the student is first admitted will be used to determine the general education requirements. The catalog in effect at the time the student declares a major or minor will be used to determine the program requirements. This catalog may only be changed to a newer catalog with the approval of the department chair or program director by resubmitting the major declaration form.

In no case can the catalog used for the major or the minor be more than six years old. A student whose major or minor catalog has expired will be required to submit a new major declaration form; the major and minor will be updated to the catalog in effect at the time of the resubmission.

Exceptional circumstances regarding the catalog used to assess a student’s major or minor may be appealed to the appropriate department.

Major/Minor Requirements

Minors are a distinct set of undergraduate courses that have been approved and designated in the catalog. A minor or certificate is required for graduation with any major program of less than 60 credits. Minors or certificates that are required for graduation must contain at least 15 credits that are not part of the major requirements. (The minor or certificate cannot be fully embedded in the major requirements.) Minors that are an option for graduation may be embedded in the major requirements and recorded on official university transcripts.

Declaring a Major and Minor

All undergraduates must declare a major by the time they have completed 90 credits. Students who transfer with 90 credits or more must declare a major before registration. Call or email your department of interest for exact procedures on declaring a major/minor. Department contact information is located at the beginning of each Academic Program listing.

Grading System, Policies and Appeals

General information is provided in the policy section at the back of the catalog, including the full policy on grade appeals.

Second Degree Policy

Students may be awarded more than one undergraduate degree at Eastern Washington University.

  • In all cases at least 225 credits are required to earn a second degree. Each subsequent degree requires an additional 45 credits.
  • At least 45 credits that are different from those that are included in the first degree and are part of an approved program are required to earn two degrees.
  • If fewer than 225 credits are completed, a second major rather than a second degree will be recorded on the university transcript, provided that the credits earned comply with program requirements for that major.
  • The student must have the approval of each department chair or program director confirming that all degree requirements have been satisfied.
  • If students complete more than one undergraduate degree concurrently, a minor is not required.

Transfer post-baccalaureate students can receive a bachelor’s degree from EWU that is of the same type (BA, BS, BAE, etc.) as awarded at the transfer institution, provided EWU’s degree requirements are completed. The major/minor area of emphasis must be different from that awarded at the transfer institution.

Any questions regarding this policy should be directed to the graduation evaluator in Records and Registration, second floor, Sutton Hall.

Note: general education and graduation requirements are waived for a student possessing a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution who wishes to obtain an additional undergraduate degree from Eastern.

Second Major Policy

Students may be awarded more than one major of the same degree type (BA, BS, BAB, BAE, BM and BFA). At least 30 credits in any major must be different from those in any other major.

This policy became effective spring quarter 2011.