Anthropology Major, Bachelor of Arts (BA)
- two years of a single high school foreign language or one year of a single college level foreign language is required for this major;
- the Anthropology major does not require a minor.
|Disciplinary Foundation Course|
|ANTH 101||CULTURAL ANTHROPOLOGY||5|
|CSBS Foundation Courses|
|CSBS 310||FOUNDATIONS OF SOCIAL AND BEHAVIORAL SCIENCES THEORY||5|
|Choose one of the following courses||3-5|
|CRITICAL ANALYSIS IN ANTHROPOLOGY|
|INTRODUCTORY STATISTICS FOR THE SOCIAL SCIENCES|
|GEOGRAPHIC INFO SYSTEMS I|
|Disciplinary Core Courses|
|ANTH 301||PRINCIPLES OF ARCHAEOLOGY||5|
|ANTH 345||PHYSICAL ANTHROPOLOGY||5|
|ANTH 401||ANTHROPOLOGICAL RESEARCH METHODS||5|
|ANTH 444||DEVELOPMENT OF ANTHROPOLOGICAL THEORY||5|
|ANTH 445||ANTHROPOLOGICAL LINGUISTICS||5|
|ANTH 490||SENIOR CAPSTONE||4|
|ANTH 493||PORTFOLIO ASSESSMENT||1|
|Electives - choose one of the following||25-30|
|Note: the student majoring in anthropology may do more than this elective minimum.|
A. Traditional four-field emphasis in Anthropology: choose an additional 30 credits from any courses with an ANTH prefix.
B. A certificate program: select one of the focused, interdisciplinary certificates approved for the ANTH major (consult department for list) 25-30 credits.
C. Specialization focus: under certain circumstances the student majoring in anthropology, in consultation with the advisor and chair, may design a set of 30 credits of electives that best prepares students for a speciality in anthropology they wish to pursue.
For information on General Education, see Undergraduate Degree .
Student Learning Outcomes—students will
- demonstrate basic knowledge of the four anthropological sub disciplines: cultural anthropology, archaeology, linguistic anthropology and physical anthropology;
- demonstrate basic knowledge of the history of anthropology;
- demonstrate basic knowledge of anthropological theory;
- demonstrate critical reasoning required to use the knowledge of anthropology s/he has learned;
- demonstrate communication skills required to use the knowledge of anthropology s/he has learned.