Health Services Administration Major, Bachelor of Arts (BA)
This is an archived copy of the 2021-22 catalog. To access the most recent version of the catalog, please visit http://catalog.ewu.edu.
- two years of a single high school foreign language or one year of a single college-level foreign language is required;
- Students must have approval of the program advisor for track or minor chosen and courses selected.
- HSAD students must maintain a cumulative GPA ≥3.0 for all HSAD classes and no more than two course grades may be <B.
- Students earning three or more grades of <B in HSAD courses will be dismissed from the program.
- All other major requirements must be completed with a ≥C.
- Students in the Health Services Administration Program must have an overall cumulative GPA ≥2.25.
- The culmination of the student’s experience in the program will be an internship in a health services setting.
- To qualify for the internship, the student must have at least a GPA ≥3.0 in HSAD classes plus permission from the program director.
|Required Core Courses|
|HSAD 300||HEALTH CARE ORGANIZATION AND ADMINISTRATION||4|
|HSAD 310||HEALTH CARE SUPERVISION||4|
|HSAD 315||SEMINAR ON PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT||1|
|HSAD 322||HEALTH CARE TECHNOLOGY||4|
|HSAD 410||HEALTH LAW REGULATION AND ETHICS||4|
|HSAD 424||STRATEGIC PLANNING||4|
|HSAD 425||BUDGET AND POLICY FOR HEALTH SERVICES MANAGERS||4|
|HSAD 435||PROCESS IMPROVEMENT IN HEALTH CARE||4|
|HSAD 440||HEALTHCARE RESEARCH DESIGN AND METHOD||4|
|HSAD 445||POPULATION HEALTH MANAGEMENT||4|
|HSAD 470||HEALTHCARE FINANCE||4|
|Required Supporting Courses|
|ACCT 251||PRINCIPLES OF FINANCIAL ACCOUNTING||5|
|ACCT 252||PRINCIPLES OF MANAGEMENT ACCOUNTING||4|
|BUED 302||BUSINESS COMMUNICATION||4|
|BUED 425||WORKPLACE COMMUNICATIONS USING COMPUTER APPLICATIONS||5|
|DSCI 245||BUSINESS STATISTICS 1||4|
|ECON 200||INTRODUCTION TO MICROECONOMICS||5|
|HLED 256||MEDICAL TERMINOLOGY||2|
|HUMR 328||HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT||4|
|MATH 200||FINITE MATHEMATICS||5|
|MKTG 310||PRINCIPLES OF MARKETING||4|
|Track or Minor|
|Choice of courses to be chosen with approval of HSAD advisor. (8 credits minimum)||8|
|Capstone and Internship|
|HSAD 490||SENIOR CAPSTONE||4|
University Competencies and Proficiencies
- Minimum Credits—180 cumulative credit hours
- 60 upper-division credits (300 level or above)
- 45 credits in residence (attendance) at Eastern, with at least 15 upper-division credits in major in residence at Eastern
- Minimum Cumulative GPA ≥2.0
All admitted students must officially Declare a Major by the time they reach 90 credits (junior standing).
Application for Graduation (use EagleNET) must be made at least two terms in advance of the term you expect to graduate (undergraduate and post-baccalaureate).
Use the Catalog Archives to determine two important catalog years.
SOAR calculates based on these two catalog years.
- The catalog in effect at the student's first term of current matriculation is used to determine BACR (Breadth Area Credit Requirements) and UGR (Undergraduate Graduation Requirements).
- The catalog in effect at the time the student declares a major or minor is used to determine the program requirements.
Students who successfully earn a BA in Health Services Administration from EWU should be able to do the following:
- apply the six core health services competencies in health settings;
- demonstrate effective written, oral and presentation communication skills in health services settings;
- focus on six core health services competency areas-communication and relationship management, professionalism, leadership, knowledge of the healthcare environment, business skills and knowledge and person centered care;
- integrate the six core competencies in an internship in a health services setting;
- manage projects utilizing the six core competency areas;
- problem solve in a variety of situations in health service settings.