Educational Foundations Option, Master of Education in Education (M.ED)
This is an archived copy of the 2021-22 catalog. To access the most recent version of the catalog, please visit http://catalog.ewu.edu.
Educational Foundations—certification optional: designed for graduate candidates, individuals with or without certification, who want a broad understanding of the history, philosophy and organization of education and to focus on an individual area of educational interest.
Admission Requirements for the MEd Program
- Have earned a baccalaureate degree (either a BA or BS) from an accredited institution of higher education.
- Have earned a grade point average of ≥3.0 on a 4-point scale during the final 90 quarter credits (or 60 semester credits) of the baccalaureate degree.
|Common Core Requirements|
|EDUC 522||TRANSFORMATION OF LEARNING AND TEACHING||4|
|or PSYC 515||ADVANCED EDUCATIONAL PSYCHOLOGY|
|Historical, Philosophical and Social Foundations of Education–choose two|
|EDUC 502||HISTORY OF AMERICAN EDUCATION||4|
|or EDUC 507||PHILOSOPHY AND ORGANIZATION OF THE AMERICAN SCHOOL|
|EDUC 505||CURRENT ISSUES IN EDUCATION||4|
|or EDUC 506||EDUCATIONAL SOCIOLOGY|
|Research and Applied Experience|
|EDUC 520||METHODS OF EDUCATIONAL RESEARCH||4|
|Educational Foundations/Interdisciplinary Area Specialization Courses||8|
|HISTORY OF AMERICAN EDUCATION|
|CONTEMPORARY EDUCATION IN OTHER SOCIETIES|
|PHILOSOPHY AND ORGANIZATION OF THE AMERICAN SCHOOL|
|MEDIA LITERACY FOR TEACHERS|
|SUPERVISION OF INSTRUCTION|
|THEORY AND PRACTICE IN CURRICULUM STUDIES|
|Support Courses-choose with advisor from related disciplines||15-18|
|Portfolio and Comprehensive Exam||5|
or EDUC 601
By the time you have completed this program, you be will able to:
- describe key developments in the history of global education;
- describe ways that professionals can demonstrate leadership in teaching and learning;
- explain the impact of select philosophical theories on teaching and learning;
- explain how select sociological theories can be applied to teaching and learning;
- identify key principles of teaching and learning.