Theatre Major, Bachelor of Arts (BA)
This is an archived copy of the 2021-22 catalog. To access the most recent version of the catalog, please visit http://catalog.ewu.edu.
Theatre majors are expected to complete a senior thesis and participate in the public performance program offered by the Theatre Program.
Note: two years of a single high school foreign language or one year of a single college-level foreign language is required.
|THTR 110||MOVEMENT AND VOICE||3|
|THTR/HUMN 202||THEATRE IN THE HUMANITIES (satisfies a general university requirement for Humanities, Fine Arts)||5|
|THTR 210||ACTING I||4|
|THTR 226||STAGE MAKE-UP||1|
|THTR/HUMN 303||SURVEY OF THEATRE HISTORY||5|
|THTR 310||ACTING II||4|
|THTR 330||STAGE COSTUME||3|
|THTR 331||THEATRE DESIGN AND TECHNOLOGY I||5|
|THTR 332||THEATRE DESIGN AND TECHNOLOGY II||5|
|THTR 338||CONCEPTS OF THEATRICAL DESIGN||3|
|THTR 380||THEATRE EXPERIENCE (must be repeated four times)||4|
|THTR 412||ACTING: THE PROFESSION||4|
|or THTR 430||THEATRE DESIGN AND TECHNOLOGY III|
|THTR 421||DIRECTING I||4|
|THTR 422||DIRECTING II||4|
|Electives–choose from the following||8|
|Note: students can use selective THTR 496 courses as electives with permission of the program director.|
|NARRATIVE SCRIPT ANALYSIS|
|FUND OF MUSIC/DANCE THEATRE|
|SPECIAL SKILLS FOR ACTORS (may be repeated for credit when topic varies)|
|ACTING WORKSHOP: VARIABLE TOPICS (may be repeated for credit when topic varies)|
|ACTING: THE PROFESSION|
|THEATRE DESIGN AND TECHNOLOGY III|
|TOPICS IN THEATRE|
|STAGE DOOR TO THE FUTURE|
|FIELD EXPERIENCE IN THEATRE|
|WORKSHOP, SHORT COURSE, CONFERENCE, SEMINAR|
|Required Senior Thesis|
|THTR 491||SENIOR THESIS PROJECT||5|
University Competencies and Proficiencies
- Minimum Credits—180 cumulative credit hours
- 60 upper-division credits (300 level or above)
- 45 credits in residence (attendance) at Eastern, with at least 15 upper-division credits in major in residence at Eastern
- Minimum Cumulative GPA ≥2.0
All admitted students must officially Declare a Major by the time they reach 90 credits (junior standing).
Application for Graduation (use EagleNET) must be made at least two terms in advance of the term you expect to graduate (undergraduate and post-baccalaureate).
Use the Catalog Archives to determine two important catalog years.
SOAR calculates based on these two catalog years.
- The catalog in effect at the student's first term of current matriculation is used to determine BACR (Breadth Area Credit Requirements) and UGR (Undergraduate Graduation Requirements).
- The catalog in effect at the time the student declares a major or minor is used to determine the program requirements.
Students who successfully earn a BA in Theatre from EWU should be able to do the following:
- analyze a play’s dramatic action;
- apply fundamental principles of theatrical design;
- demonstrate collaborative skills in the creation of theatrical work;
- demonstrate professional acting techniques for the stage;
- demonstrate professional directing techniques for the stage.