Aquatics Management Minor
This minor will develop the student’s knowledge of water safety, aquatic facility management, small craft safety, scuba operations, exercise and fitness. It will utilize nationally recognized certification programs to train students in each area and equip students for employment in the field of aquatics in such diverse areas as fitness clubs, educational institutions, YMCA, YWCA, rehabilitation centers, community centers and Parks and Recreation departments.
|PHED 393||WATER SAFETY INSTRUCTOR'S COURSE||3|
|PHED 394||LIFEGUARD TRAINING||3|
|RCLS 350||RECREATION PRACTICUM||5|
|Electives–choose 4 credits from the list below:||4|
|PE ACTIVITIES (may be repeated with these titles: Aqua Aerobics, Scuba, Swim Conditioning, Swim Time I.)|
|SPECIALIZED FITNESS ACTIVITIES (Swim Time II)|
|RECREATION AND LEISURE SERVICES ACTIVITIES (River Rafting)|
|Must complete certification in Aquatic Facility Operator (AFO) or Certified Pool Operator (CPO) through the National Recreation and Parks Association (NRPA).|
- demonstrate competence in all areas of water chemistry as it pertains to pools;
- demonstrate comprehension of basic mechanical concepts involved in the functioning of a swimming pool;
- demonstrate comprehension of national standards related to safety and healthy pools;
- demonstrate comprehension of risk management;
- describe protocol and procedures related to systems and equipment that are required to contain, circulate, filter, heat and treat swimming pool water;
- perform preventative maintenance and basic repair on equipment.