Health Informatics Technology and Management, Bachelor of Science (BS)
The Health Informatics Technology and Management Bachelor of Science degree has been created as an interdisciplinary offering. Students admitted to the program would study a curriculum that blends three disciplines: health services administration, management information systems and computer science. This program is designed to prepare students as health information technology professionals to manage and use health information and emerging electronic information technologies in the healthcare industry. Graduates will be prepared to participate in the design of data schemas for health information systems, in the definition and analysis of requirements for health information systems, in the design, deployment and querying of reporting systems via both direct query and reporting tools for use in administrative, clinical and support areas.
Any EWU student who has completed or nearly completed the prerequisite courses may declare a major in HITM. MATH 200 is highly recommended before taking business classes.
Professional Membership Requirements
Every student graduating in the Health Informatics Technology and Management must be a student member of a national professional organization for the discipline at least by their senior year.
Work Experience Requirement
It is strongly advised that all students seek as much practical experience as possible, whether paid or volunteer. The culmination of the student’s experience in the program will be an internship in a healthcare setting. Students are urged to consult with their advisors in order to plan their program.
- HITM students must maintain a cumulative GPA ≥3.0 for all HSAD, CSCD and MISC classes.
- no more than two courses in HSAD, CSCD and MISC classes may be <B;
- students earning three or more grades <B in HSAD, CSCD and MISC will be dismissed from the program;
- students in the HITM program must have an overall cumulative grade point average ≥2.25.
|ACCT 251||PRINCIPLES OF FINANCIAL ACCOUNTING||5|
|ACCT 252||PRINCIPLES OF MANAGEMENT ACCOUNTING||4|
|BUED 302||BUSINESS COMMUNICATION||4|
|DSCI 245||DATA ANALYSIS FOR BUSINESS||4|
|DSCI 346||ADVANCED DATA ANALYSIS FOR BUSINESS||4|
|ECON 200||INTRODUCTION TO MICROECONOMICS||5|
|ECON 445||INSURANCE AND RISK||5|
|ECON 452||HEALTH ECONOMICS||5|
|HLED 256||MEDICAL TERMINOLOGY||2|
|or OCTH 292||FOUNDATIONS OF DOCUMENTATION AND MEDICAL TERMINOLOGY FOR THE REHABILITATION PROFESSIONAL|
|HSAD 300||HEALTH CARE ORGANIZATION AND ADMINISTRATION||4|
|HSAD 310||HEALTH CARE SUPERVISION||4|
|HSAD 410||HEALTH LAW REGULATION AND ETHICS||4|
|HSAD 435||PROCESS IMPROVEMENT IN HEALTH CARE||4|
|HSAD 440||HEALTHCARE RESEARCH DESIGN AND METHOD||4|
|HSAD 455||HEALTHCARE BILLING||2|
|HSAD 490||SENIOR CAPSTONE||4|
|or CSCD 490||SENIOR CAPSTONE|
|HUMR 328||HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT||4|
|MISC 211||INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY IN BUSINESS||4|
|MISC 372||DATA COMMUNICATION AND NETWORK FUNDAMENTALS||4|
|or CSCD 330||COMPUTER NETWORKS|
|MISC 373||BUSINESS DATABASE APPLICATIONS||4|
|or CSCD 327||RELATIONAL DATABASE SYSTEMS|
|MISC 481||SYSTEMS ANALYSIS AND DESIGN||4|
|or CSCD 350||SOFTWARE ENGINEERING|
|MISC 486||INFORMATION SECURITY MANAGEMENT||4|
|MISC 488||HEALTH INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY||4|
All admitted students must officially Declare a Major by the time they reach 90 credits (junior standing).
Application for Graduation must be made at least two terms in advance of the term you expect to graduate (undergraduate and post-baccalaureate).
Check your progress with SOAR Student Online Academic Review—you must be signed in to use this tool.
- demonstrate effective written and oral communication skills;
- understand health care administration;
- understand business domain knowledge, such as accounting, finance, marketing, human resource management, logistics and supply chain;
- acquire MIS technical skills, including programming principles, database principles, networking and data communications;
- demonstrate problem-solving abilities by applying MIS technical skills, including business application program design and business database design;
- demonstrate MIS and HSAD project development skills through system analysis and design;
- demonstrate HI project management skills and team skills.