Communication Sciences and Disorders Major, Bachelor of Arts (BA)
This program is on a semester schedule. Lower division courses (offered on the quarter schedule) must be taken prior to entering this major.
Notes: two years of a single high school foreign language or one year of a single college level foreign language is required
- Students must earn and maintain an overall EWU institutional grade point average ≥2.75 as well as a grade point average ≥2.75 in all CMSD coursework to be retained in the program.
- If a student’s total EWU institutional GPA falls below a 2.75 in a single semester, the student is placed on academic probation and has one semester to raise their GPA to >2.75 or they will be dismissed from the program.
- To graduate with the BA degree, the student must earn a grade ≥C- in each of the courses within the major.
- Earning a grade <C- for any given course will require that the student repeat the course. If the course is a prerequisite for a higher-level course, the student will not be allowed to enroll in the higher-level course until a grade ≥C- has been earned in the prerequisite course.
|CMSD 301S||INTRODUCTION TO SPEECH-LANGUAGE PATHOLOGY AND AUDIOLOGY||3|
|CMSD 320S||SPEECH AND HEARING SCIENCES||3|
|CMSD 321S||ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY OF SPEECH PRODUCTION||3|
|CMSD 331S||LANGUAGE DEVELOPMENT||3|
|CMSD 357S||LANGUAGE IMPAIRMENT||3|
|CMSD 358S||SPEECH SOUND DISORDERS||3|
|CMSD 371S||HEARING AND HEARING DISORDERS||3|
|CMSD 441S||ASSESSMENT OF SPEECH AND LANGUAGE||3|
|CMSD 450S||LANGUAGE AND LITERACY||3|
|CMSD 451S||NEUROGENIC COMMUNICATION DISORDERS||3|
|CMSD 454S||SERVICE LEARNING FOR COMMUNICATION SCIENCES AND DISORDERS||1|
|CMSD 461S||CLINICAL METHODS||2|
|CMSD 473S||AURAL REHABILITATION||3|
|CMSD 480S||INTRODUCTION TO RESEARCH IN COMMUNICATION DISORDERS||3|
|Required Senior Capstone|
|CMSD 490S||SENIOR CAPSTONE: PROFESSIONAL ISSUES IN COMMUNICATION DISORDERS||3|
|Required Rotating Course–the student must take at least one of the following courses||1-3|
|INTERVENTION FOR SPEECH AND LANGUAGE DISORDERS|
|VOICE AND RESONANCE DISORDERS|
|Required Supporting Courses–students majoring in CMSD must complete coursework in public speaking, biological sciences, physical sciences, statistics and the social/behavioral sciences. These courses should be taken prior to entering the CMSD major.|
All admitted students must officially Declare a Major by the time they reach 90 credits (junior standing).
Application for Graduation must be made at least two terms in advance of the term you expect to graduate (undergraduate and post-baccalaureate).
Check your progress with SOAR Student Online Academic Review—you must be signed in to use this tool.
- demonstrate basic knowledge of hearing disorders assessment;
- demonstrate basic knowledge of hearing disorders treatment;
- demonstrate basic knowledge of speech-language pathology assessment;
- demonstrate basic knowledge of speech-language pathology treatment;
- describe the typical processes of hearing;
- describe the typical processes of language;
- describe the typical processes of speech;
- describe the typical processes of swallowing.