Dental Hygiene, Bachelor of Science in Dental Hygiene (BSDH)
BSDH Degree Completion Program
BSDH degree completion opportunities are for licensed dental hygienists who desire a baccalaureate degree and have associate degrees from two-year community colleges accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA) and regional higher education accrediting bodies. EWU accepts a maximum block transfer of 74 quarter credits from an Associate in Applied Science dental hygiene degree program accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation and regional higher education accrediting bodies. In addition, to fulfill the EWU requirements for the EWU BS in Dental Hygiene, students must complete the required Dental Hygiene courses (40 semester credits/60 quarter credits) and any other degree requirements, as identified by a program advisor after transcript evaluation. All courses are taught fully online via Canvas, an online Learning Management System that allows students to submit assignments, contact the course instructor, collaborate with fellow students, participate in discussions, and even videoconference from virtually anywhere.
General Admission Requirements for the Online BSDH Degree Completion Program.
- A current dental hygiene license in the U.S. or Canada.
- Associate degree from a CODA and regional accredited dental hygiene program in the U.S. or Canada.
- Successful completion of the Dental Hygiene National Board examination or its Canadian equivalent.
Transcripts and inquiries should be directed to Ann O’Kelley Wetmore, director of the BSDH degree completion program or the Dental Hygiene department web page.
|DNHY/HSCI 467S||CAREER STRATEGIES||1|
|DNHY/HSCI 469S||APPLIED STATISTICS AND EVIDENCE-BASED DECISION MAKING FOR THE HEALTH SCIENCES||4|
|DNHY/HSCI 471S||PRINCIPLES OF RESEARCH AND SCIENTIFIC WRITING||4|
|DNHY/HSCI 477S||LEADERSHIP AND PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT||1|
|DNHY 485S||ORAL HEALTH PROMOTION||3|
|DNHY 486S||CONTEMPORARY ISSUES IN DENTAL HYGIENE||3|
|DNHY/HSCI 487S||PRINCIPLES AND POLICIES OF HEALTHCARE MANAGEMENT||3|
|DNHY/HSCI 488S||RELATIONSHIP, ETHICS AND COMMUNICATION IN HEALTHCARE||3|
|DNHY 489S||PRINCIPLES OF DENTAL PUBLIC HEALTH||3|
|DNHY 490S||DENTAL HYGIENE CAPSTONE||3|
|DNHY/HSCI 491S||FOUNDATIONS OF CLINICAL EDUCATION||5|
|DNHY 492S||EDUCATION/HEALTH PROMOTION PRACTICUM||3|
|DNHY/HSCI 494S||MYTHOLOGY, FOLKLORE AND HEALTHCARE||4|
The Bachelor of Science in Dental Hygiene Degree Completion program is designed for students to meet EWU's Breadth Area Core Requirements. All students accepted to the Bachelor of Science in Dental Hygiene Degree Completion program must meet university competencies and proficiencies in Math and English. ENGL 201 or its equivalent (English proficiency) is required, along with a college algebra proficiency. Students who do not have completed coursework are permitted to start the program. Please plan accordingly when creating your education plan with the BSDH Program Director.
All admitted students must officially Declare a Major by the time they reach 90 credits (junior standing).
Application for Graduation must be made at least two terms in advance of the term you expect to graduate (undergraduate and post-baccalaureate).
Check your progress with SOAR Student Online Academic Review—you must be signed in to use this tool.
- apply translational research findings to evidence-based practices in the professional roles of the dental hygienist;
- assess the role of the dental hygienist on an interprofessional health care team;
- create an electronic portfolio that validates their effectiveness as an ethical and moral dental hygiene professional;
- develop programs that promote collaboration with other professionals for the health and well-being of a diverse society;
- synthesize theoretical and empirical knowledge from dental hygiene, scientific and humanistic disciplines into the professional roles of the dental hygienist.