Health Science is a multidisciplinary field. As such, this program is housed in the Department of Dental Hygiene and provides an interprofessional focused curriculum that combines bio-medical, psycho-social, organizational and societal aspects of health, disease and health care. This program is a pathway for those with an approved Associate Degree in an Allied Health Program or a Direct Transfer Degree and a certificate in an approved allied health profession and are currently working as an Allied Health Professional, or current EWU students with Pre-Nursing or Pre-Dental Hygiene coursework to earn a Bachelor of Science in Health Science degree. This degree is NOT a pathway for entry to medical school.
Mission of the Health Science Program
The mission of the Bachelor of Science in Health Science program is to provide pathways for allied health care providers who seek to become culturally sensitive future leaders who provide competent, compassionate care, and assume positions of responsibility and leadership within their chosen allied health care profession. The program promotes a positive and rewarding academic environment that fosters innovation and collaboration for students, faculty, and staff.
BSHS Degree Completion program goals
- Compel individuals who possess moral and ethical values/behaviors to be effective participants in an increasingly complex and interdisciplinary health care system.
- Foster health science professionals who are culturally sensitive and possess a strong theoretical base in the humanities, psychosocial sciences, and natural sciences.
- Encourage health science professionals to be life-long learners who critically think, analyze, and solve problems, make sound judgments, and lead others to do the same.
- Cultivate the communication and leadership skills of health science professionals.
- Instill a commitment to contribute actively to the betterment of the allied health care profession through professional involvement, continued education, and advanced professional or graduate education.