Latin American and Iberian Studies Certificate
Stretching over twenty countries, from Mexico to Central America and the Caribbean to South America, Latin America is a major world region, neighbor to the United States and increasingly the point of origin for a significant number of Americans. Through growing hemispheric links such as NAFTA, CAFTA and the OAS, Latin America has been and will continue to be a major area of U.S. business, economic and political relations. The Latin American and Iberian Studies Certificate will provide the EWU student, and the Spokane metropolitan area, with the opportunity to gain a highly specialized and integrative knowledge of the internal and international issues related to Latin America and Iberia (Spain and Portugal), by focusing on culture, history, politics and language in a premier public university setting.
All courses for the certificate must be completed at EWU; transfer credits will not be accepted for certificate completion. Completion of this certificate will also satisfy the minor requirement for students completing majors where a minor is required.
- Acceptance to the certificate program requires that the student have at least a cumulative GPA ≥3.0 in all courses at EWU and the approval of the certificate coordinator.
- In no course required for the certificate can the student receive <B.
- All courses within the certificate must have a cumulative GPA ≥3.3.
|Required Certificate Courses|
Instruction in the Spanish, Portuguese or French languages through the Modern Languages and Literature language programs.
|ANTR 322||ANTHROPOLOGY OF LATIN AMERICA||5|
|HIST 365||LATIN AMERICAN HISTORY||5|
|HIST 493||CERTIFICATE SYNTHESIS AND ASSESSMENT||1|
|or POLI 493||PORTFOLIO ASSESSMENT|
|Choose two courses from the following||9|
|GLOBALIZATION AND ITS DISCONTENT|
|ARCHAEOLOGY OF MESOAMERICA|
|SURVEY OF CHICANO LITERATURE|
|LATINA/O COMMUNITIES IN THE U.S.: FIELD RESEARCH IN CHICANA/O, LATINA/O STUDIES|
|GEOGRAPHY OF LATIN AMERICA|
|HISTORY OF SPAIN|
|COLONIAL LATIN AMERICA|
|CULTURAL HISTORY OF LATIN AMERICA|
|HISTORY OF MEXICO|
|SENIOR CAPSTONE SEMINAR|
|INTERNATIONAL POLITICAL ECONOMY|
|POLITICS OF DEVELOPING NATIONS|
|TOPICS IN INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS AND COMPARATIVE POLITICS|
|Students may incorporate the following courses into the program when certificate-themed and with the approval of the certificate coordinator.|
|Note: other certificate-themed courses at the 300- or 400-level may fulfill requirements with the approval of the certificate coordinator.|
- acquire basic communication skills in Spanish, French or Portuguese;
- apply knowledge of Latin American and Iberian history to interpret current political, social and cultural dynamics in Latin America and Iberia (Spain and Portugal) and in comparison to other world regions;
- apply normative and empirical tools to the study of Latin American and Iberian political, cultural and governmental realities, both past and present;
- attain advanced understanding of Latin America and Iberia, sufficient to enter graduate studies concerning the region, or a track wherein expertise in Latin America, Spain and/or Portugal is necessary;
- demonstrate awareness of the historical, social, cultural, geographic and political dynamics of the Latin American and Iberian countries (Latin America, Spain, and Portugal).