Biology Major with Biotechnology Option, Bachelor of Science (BS)
Graduation Requirements: complete the Educational Testing Service (ETS) Major Field Test for Biology.
See Pre-Professional Programs for additional information.
Grade Requirements: a cumulative GPA ≥2.0 for all courses in student’s curriculum in Biology.
|Required Biology Courses|
|BIOL 171||BIOLOGY I||5|
|BIOL 172||BIOLOGY II||5|
|BIOL 173||BIOLOGY III||5|
|BIOL 270||BIOLOGICAL INVESTIGATION||3|
|BIOL 310||FUNDAMENTALS OF GENETICS||5|
|BIOL 436||CELL BIOLOGY||5|
|BIOL 438||MOLECULAR BIOLOGY||5|
|BIOL 484||TOPICS IN MOLECULAR BIOTECHNOLOGY||2|
|BIOL 485||MOLECULAR BIOTECHNOLOGY||5|
|BIOL 488||MOLECULAR BIOTECHNOLOGY LABORATORY||2|
|Choose from the following||10|
|Required Supporting Courses|
& CHEM 172
& CHEM 172L
& CHEM 173
& CHEM 173L
|GENERAL CHEMISTRY I|
and GENERAL CHEMISTRY LABORATORY I
and GENERAL CHEMISTRY II
and GENERAL CHEMISTRY LABORATORY II
and GENERAL CHEMISTRY III
and GENERAL CHEMISTRY LABORATORY III
|CHEM 304||QUANTITATIVE ANALYSIS||6|
|CHEM 351||ORGANIC CHEMISTRY||4|
|CHEM 352||ORGANIC CHEMISTRY||4|
|CHEM 372||ORGANIC CHEM LABORATORY I||3|
|MATH 161||CALCULUS I||5|
|MATH 380||ELEMENTARY PROBABILITY AND STATISTICS||5|
|or BIOL 380||DATA ANALYSIS FOR BIOLOGISTS|
|PHYS 131||INTRODUCTORY PHYSICS I||4|
|or PHYS 151||GENERAL PHYSICS I|
|PHYS 132||INTRODUCTORY PHYSICS II||4|
|or PHYS 152||GENERAL PHYSICS II|
|PHYS 133||INTRODUCTORY PHYSICS III||4|
|or PHYS 153||GENERAL PHYSICS III|
|PHYS 161||MECHANICS LABORATORY||1|
|PHYS 162||HEAT AND OPTICS LABORATORY||1|
|PHYS 163||ELECTRONICS LABORATORY I||1|
|Required Senior Capstone|
|BIOL 490A||BIOTECHNOLOGY CAPSTONE||5|
University Competencies and Proficiencies
- Minimum Credits—180 cumulative credit hours
- 60 upper-division credits (300 level or above)
- 45 credits in residence (attendance) at Eastern, with at least 15 upper-division credits in major in residence at Eastern
- Minimum Cumulative GPA ≥2.0
All admitted students must officially Declare a Major by the time they reach 90 credits (junior standing).
Application for Graduation (use EagleNET) must be made at least two terms in advance of the term you expect to graduate (undergraduate and post-baccalaureate).
Use the Catalog Archives to determine two important catalog years.
SOAR calculates based on these two catalog years.
- The catalog in effect at the student's first term of current matriculation is used to determine BACR (Breadth Area Credit Requirements) and UGR (Undergraduate Graduation Requirements).
- The catalog in effect at the time the student declares a major or minor is used to determine the program requirements.
Students who successfully earn a BS in Biology Major with Biotechnology from EWU should be able to do the following:
- demonstrate knowledge of biotech-specific approaches for development of new or improvement of existing products
- demonstrate knowledge of evolution, molecular biology, and cell biology;
- design laboratory or field experiments;
- interpret observations through the creation, testing, and analysis of hypotheses;
- inspect data and apply basic statistics to their analysis and communication.
Write reports and prepare and deliver oral reports that:
- demonstrate ability to use scientific journals, periodicals, and electronic media to access current biological information;
- demonstrate ability to evaluate journal articles from the primary literature.