Biology/Secondary Major, Bachelor of Arts in Education (BAE)
This major satisfies the endorsement requirements for grades 5–12.
- BAE students must complete both the courses below and the secondary education core courses;
- the option requires more than 12 quarters to complete at 15 credits per quarter.
Grade Requirements: a cumulative GPA ≥2.8 for all courses ≥C in each course in student’s curriculum in Biology.
|Secondary Education students must complete the required Secondary Education Core and the following courses.|
|Required Biology Courses|
|BIOL 171||BIOLOGY I||5|
|BIOL 172||BIOLOGY II||5|
|BIOL 173||BIOLOGY III||5|
|BIOL 270||BIOLOGICAL INVESTIGATION||3|
|BIOL 310||FUNDAMENTALS OF GENETICS||5|
|BIOL 441||ECOLOGY LAB||2|
|Choose one of the following||5|
|Choose one of the following||4-5|
|HUMAN ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY III|
|PRINCIPLES OF ANIMAL PHYSIOLOGY|
|PRINCIPLES OF PLANT PHYSIOLOGY|
|PRINCIPLES OF MICROBIAL PHYSIOLOGY|
|Required Supporting Courses|
|BIOL 390||BIOLOGY TEACHING METHODS||2|
& CHEM 172
& CHEM 172L
& CHEM 173
& CHEM 173L
|GENERAL CHEMISTRY I|
and GENERAL CHEMISTRY LABORATORY I
and GENERAL CHEMISTRY II
and GENERAL CHEMISTRY LABORATORY II
and GENERAL CHEMISTRY III
and GENERAL CHEMISTRY LABORATORY III
|SCED 390||SCIENCE TEACHING METHODS||2|
|Choose one of the following||5|
|DATA ANALYSIS FOR BIOLOGISTS|
|PRECALCULUS MATH II|
|ELEMENTARY PROBABILITY AND STATISTICS|
|Required Senior Capstones–must be taken concurrently|
|SCED 490A||SCIENCE TEACHING CAPSTONE SEMINAR||3|
|SCED 490B||SCIENCE TEACHING CAPSTONE FIELD APPLICATION||2|
|Secondary Education Core|
|30–hour multicultural education field requirement|
& EDUC 309
& EDUC 341
& EDUC 386A
& EDUC 413
|FOUNDATIONS OF ASSESSMENT|
and FOUNDATIONS OF SECONDARY CLASSROOM MANAGEMENT
and SECONDARY STRATEGIES, MANAGEMENT, ASSESSMENT
and FIELD EXPERIENCE AND PRACTICUM
and CONTENT AREA LITERACY: MANAGEMENT AND ASSESSMENT FOR SECONDARY EDUCATION CANDIDATES
& EDUC 427
|FIELD EXPERIENCE AND PRACTICUM|
and GENERAL STUDENT TEACHING K-12 (These are variable credit courses. The minimum for each is 3 credits.)
|EDUC 426||SECONDARY STUDENT TEACHING 7-12||12|
University Competencies and Proficiencies
- Minimum Credits—180 cumulative credit hours
- 60 upper-division credits (300 level or above)
- 45 credits in residence (attendance) at Eastern, with at least 15 upper-division credits in major in residence at Eastern
- Minimum Cumulative GPA ≥2.0
All admitted students must officially Declare a Major by the time they reach 90 credits (junior standing).
Application for Graduation (use EagleNET) must be made at least two terms in advance of the term you expect to graduate (undergraduate and post-baccalaureate).
Use the Catalog Archives to determine two important catalog years.
SOAR calculates based on these two catalog years.
- The catalog in effect at the student's first term of current matriculation is used to determine BACR (Breadth Area Credit Requirements) and UGR (Undergraduate Graduation Requirements).
- The catalog in effect at the time the student declares a major or minor is used to determine the program requirements.
Students who successfully earn a BAE in Biology/Secondary from EWU should be able to do the following:
- apply best practices to teach biology that are outlined in the Next Generation Science Standards;
- demonstrate effective strategies for teaching biology to a community of diverse students;
- demonstrate understanding of core concepts in biology;
- describe the procedures for responding to potential safety hazards in the laboratory, classroom, and field;
- shows evidence of integrating the three dimensions of the Next Generation Science Standards.