Visual Communication Design Major, Bachelor of Design (BDes)
A Bachelor of Design is geared heavily toward design, with less emphasis on fine arts. Our program objective is to prepare students for employment in design-related fields.
Note: two years of a single high school foreign language or one year of a single college level foreign language is required.
Grade Requirements: in order to receive a degree in design, students must earn the department requirement of ≥2.5 GPA in all DESN/TECH coursework.
|DESN 100||DRAWING FOR COMMUNICATION||5|
|DESN 200||VISUAL THINKING||5|
|DESN 216||DIGITAL FOUNDATIONS||4|
|DESN 259||HISTORY OF DESIGN||4|
|DESN 263||VISUAL COMMUNICATION DESIGN 1||4|
|DESN 338||USER EXPERIENCE DESIGN 1||4|
|DESN 343||TYPOGRAPHY 2||4|
|DESN 350||DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHY||4|
|DESN 363||VISUAL COMMUNICATION DESIGN 2||4|
|DESN 366||PRODUCTION DESIGN||4|
|DESN 368||WEB DESIGN 1||4|
|DESN 463||VISUAL COMMUNICATION DESIGN 3||4|
|Professional Practice or Portfolio–choose from the following||4|
|PORTFOLIO (must be repeated)|
|Electives–choose in consultation with your design advisor||12|
|DESN 490||SENIOR CAPSTONE||5|
University Competencies and Proficiencies
- Minimum Credits—180 cumulative credit hours
- 60 upper-division credits (300 level or above)
- 45 credits in residence (attendance) at Eastern, with at least 15 upper-division credits in major in residence at Eastern
- Minimum Cumulative GPA ≥2.0
All admitted students must officially Declare a Major by the time they reach 90 credits (junior standing).
Application for Graduation (use EagleNET) must be made at least two terms in advance of the term you expect to graduate (undergraduate and post-baccalaureate).
Use the Catalog Archives to determine two important catalog years.
SOAR calculates based on these two catalog years.
- The catalog in effect at the student's first term of current matriculation is used to determine BACR (Breadth Area Credit Requirements) and UGR (Undergraduate Graduation Requirements).
- The catalog in effect at the time the student declares a major or minor is used to determine the program requirements.
Students who successfully earn a BDes in Design from EWU should be able to do the following:
- achieve fluency in the visual vocabulary of design;
- apply design methodologies;
- build professionalism through communication and presentation;
- create original design solutions that exhibit a unique personal voice;
- demonstrate proficiency in the technical skills relevant to design.