Adult Education, Master of Education (M.ED)
Adult Education–certification optional: this program is developed to provide advanced opportunities for those persons seeking to work with adults in a variety of settings.
These settings include but are not limited to community college vocational programs, adult basic skills programs, in-service coordination for business and industry, and military training. It is anticipated that students will come from a variety of backgrounds, most having a bachelor’s degree with some additional work and some having master’s degrees in other areas. No teaching certification required.
Admissions Requirements for the Adult Education, MEd Program
- Have earned a baccalaureate degree (either a BA or BS) from an accredited institution of higher education.
- Have earned a GPA ≥3.0 on a 4–point-scale during the final 90 quarter credits (or 60 semester credits) of enrolled coursework.
|EDUC 505||CURRENT ISSUES IN EDUCATION||4|
|EDUC 507||PHILOSOPHY AND ORGANIZATION OF THE AMERICAN SCHOOL||4|
|EDUC 520||METHODS OF EDUCATIONAL RESEARCH||4|
|EDUC 522||TRANSFORMATION OF LEARNING AND TEACHING||4|
|COIN 571||SURVEY POST-SECONDARY EDUCATION||4|
|COIN 572||STRATEGIES FOR TEACHING ADULTS||4|
|COIN 581||PRINCIPLES OF COLLEGE TEACHING||4|
|EDUC 502||HISTORY OF AMERICAN EDUCATION||4|
|EDUC 506||EDUCATIONAL SOCIOLOGY||4|
|EDUC 538||MEDIA LITERACY FOR TEACHERS||4|
|COIN 621||ADULT EDUCATION INTERNSHIP I||2|
|COIN 622||ADULT EDUCATION INTERNSHIP II||2|
|Portfolio and Comprehensive Exam|
|COIN 623||ADULT EDUCATION PORTFOLIO||2|
|COIN 624||ADULT EDUCATION COMPREHENSIVE EXAM||3|
By the time you have completed this program, you be will able to:
- articulate a thorough understanding of several strategies and techniques for teaching adults;
- articulate a thorough understanding of the structure, functions, and operational systems of a variety of post-secondary institutions;
- augment your repertoire of post-secondary teaching practices to enhance active learning;
- establish a mental framework of the theories that support the strategies and techniques for teaching adults;
- hone your command of APA style as you complete a variety of research and writing assignments;
- identify and explain the significance of the challenges of post-secondary teaching;
- identify current issues in post-secondary education;
- identify the characteristics of the adult learner.