Spanish/Elementary Major, Bachelor of Arts in Education (BAE)
This major satisfies the endorsement for preschool to grade 12.
Notes: students who do not have sufficient high school language preparation to begin SPAN 201 will require more than 12 quarters to complete the BAE; students who want to have a second endorsement in a minor field will require more than 12 quarters to complete the BAE.
Grade Requirements: the minimum cumulative GPA for this program is ≥2.7.
|Elementary Education students must complete the required Elementary Education Core and the following courses.|
|Required Spanish/Elementary Courses|
|GNML 390||FOREIGN LANGUAGE METHODS||4|
|SPAN 201||INTERMEDIATE SPANISH AND CULTURE||5|
|SPAN 202||INTERMEDIATE SPANISH AND CULTURE||5|
|SPAN 203||INTERMEDIATE SPANISH AND CULTURE||5|
|SPAN 310||ADVANCED GRAMMAR AND COMPOSITION||3|
|SPAN 311||ADVANCED GRAMMAR AND COMPOSITION||3|
|SPAN 320||CULTURAL STUDIES IN SPAIN||5|
|SPAN 321||CULTURAL STUDIES IN LATIN AMERICA||5|
|SPAN 338||SURVEY OF SPANISH LITERATURE||3|
|or SPAN 339||SURVEY OF SPANISH-AMERICAN LITERATURE|
|Electives–choose courses above SPAN 300||11|
|Elementary Education Core|
|There are general education science and social science courses that are strongly recommended for the Elementary Education candidate. See the general requirements section of this catalog. Please see an Education advisor for clarification.|
|30–hour multicultural education field requirement|
|EDUC 304||INTRODUCTION TO ELEMENTARY READING||3|
& EDUC 310
& EDUC 338
& EDUC 340
& EDUC 386A
|FOUNDATIONS OF ASSESSMENT|
and LITERACY METHODS, MANAGEMENT AND ASSESSMENT IN THE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
and LANGUAGE AND SOCIAL STUDIES METHODS 1: INTEGRATED LANGUAGE ARTS FOR ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
and LANGUAGE AND SOCIAL STUDIES METHODS 2: INTEGRATED SOCIAL STUDIES FOR ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
and FIELD EXPERIENCE AND PRACTICUM
& EDUC 380
& EDUC 381
& EDUC 386B
|FOUNDATIONS OF ELEMENTARY CLASSROOM MANAGEMENT|
and INTEGRATED STEM METHODS 1
and INTEGRATED STEM METHODS 2
and FIELD EXPERIENCE AND PRACTICUM
|EDUC 423||ELEMENTARY STUDENT TEACHING K-8||12|
|EDUC 427||GENERAL STUDENT TEACHING K-12 (Variable credit. A minimum of 3 credits are required.)||3-15|
University Competencies and Proficiencies
- Minimum Credits—180 cumulative credit hours
- 60 upper-division credits (300 level or above)
- 45 credits in residence (attendance) at Eastern, with at least 15 upper-division credits in major in residence at Eastern
- Minimum Cumulative GPA ≥2.0
All admitted students must officially Declare a Major by the time they reach 90 credits (junior standing).
Application for Graduation (use EagleNET) must be made at least two terms in advance of the term you expect to graduate (undergraduate and post-baccalaureate).
Use the Catalog Archives to determine two important catalog years.
SOAR calculates based on these two catalog years.
- The catalog in effect at the student's first term of current matriculation is used to determine BACR (Breadth Area Credit Requirements) and UGR (Undergraduate Graduation Requirements).
- The catalog in effect at the time the student declares a major or minor is used to determine the program requirements.
Upon completion of the BAE in Education (Spanish), students will:
- analyze in Spanish Hispanic artistic products taking into consideration historical, political, economic, and other social issues;
- articulate one’s philosophy and methods for teaching Modern Languages through a teaching portfolio;
- demonstrate listening comprehension at the advanced-low (or higher) level of proficiency on the ACTFL scale in Spanish;
- read at the advanced-low (or higher) level of proficiency on the ACTFL scale in Spanish;
- speak at the advanced-low (or higher) level of proficiency on the ACTFL scale in Spanish;
- write at the advanced-low (or higher) level of proficiency on the ACTFL scale in Spanish.