Spanish/Secondary Major, Bachelor of Arts in Education (BAE)
This major satisfies the endorsement for grades 5-12.
Notes: students who do not have sufficient high school language preparation to begin SPAN 201 will require more than 12 quarters to complete the BAE; students who want to have a second endorsement in a minor field will require more than 12 quarters to complete the BAE.
Grade Requirements: the minimum cumulative GPA for this program is ≥2.7.
|Secondary Education students must complete the required Secondary Education Core and the following courses.|
|Required Spanish/Secondary Courses|
|GNML 390||FOREIGN LANGUAGE METHODS||4|
|SPAN 201||INTERMEDIATE SPANISH AND CULTURE||5|
|SPAN 202||INTERMEDIATE SPANISH AND CULTURE||5|
|SPAN 203||INTERMEDIATE SPANISH AND CULTURE||5|
|SPAN 310||ADVANCED GRAMMAR AND COMPOSITION||3|
|SPAN 311||ADVANCED GRAMMAR AND COMPOSITION||3|
|SPAN 320||CULTURAL STUDIES IN SPAIN||5|
|SPAN 321||CULTURAL STUDIES IN LATIN AMERICA||5|
|SPAN 338||SURVEY OF SPANISH LITERATURE||3|
|or SPAN 339||SURVEY OF SPANISH-AMERICAN LITERATURE|
|Electives–Choose courses above SPAN 300||11|
|Secondary Education Core|
|30–hour multicultural education field requirement|
& EDUC 309
& EDUC 341
& EDUC 386A
& EDUC 413
|FOUNDATIONS OF ASSESSMENT|
and FOUNDATIONS OF SECONDARY CLASSROOM MANAGEMENT
and SECONDARY STRATEGIES, MANAGEMENT, ASSESSMENT
and FIELD EXPERIENCE AND PRACTICUM
and CONTENT AREA LITERACY: MANAGEMENT AND ASSESSMENT FOR SECONDARY EDUCATION CANDIDATES
& EDUC 427
|FIELD EXPERIENCE AND PRACTICUM|
and GENERAL STUDENT TEACHING K-12 (These are variable credit courses. The minimum for each is 3 credits.)
|EDUC 426||SECONDARY STUDENT TEACHING 7-12||12|
University Competencies and Proficiencies
- Minimum Credits—180 cumulative credit hours
- 60 upper-division credits (300 level or above)
- 45 credits in residence (attendance) at Eastern, with at least 15 upper-division credits in major in residence at Eastern
- Minimum Cumulative GPA ≥2.0
All admitted students must officially Declare a Major by the time they reach 90 credits (junior standing).
Application for Graduation (use EagleNET) must be made at least two terms in advance of the term you expect to graduate (undergraduate and post-baccalaureate).
Use the Catalog Archives to determine two important catalog years.
SOAR calculates based on these two catalog years.
- The catalog in effect at the student's first term of current matriculation is used to determine BACR (Breadth Area Credit Requirements) and UGR (Undergraduate Graduation Requirements).
- The catalog in effect at the time the student declares a major or minor is used to determine the program requirements.
Upon completion of the BAE, students will:
- analyze in Spanish Hispanic artistic products taking into consideration historical, political, economic, and other social issues;
- articulate one’s philosophy and methods for teaching Modern Languages through a teaching portfolio;
- demonstrate listening comprehension at the advanced-low (or higher) level of proficiency on the ACTFL scale in Spanish;
- read at the advanced-low (or higher) level of proficiency on the ACTFL scale in Spanish;
- speak at the advanced-low (or higher) level of proficiency on the ACTFL scale in Spanish;
- write at the advanced-low (or higher) level of proficiency on the ACTFL scale in Spanish.