Physics Major, Bachelor of Arts (BA)
The Bachelor of Arts degree allows the student to acquire a physics degree with strong emphasis in one or more related fields of study. This degree is ideal preparation for graduate work in such areas as geophysics, biophysics and physical chemistry. Physics graduates also commonly enter graduate schools in engineering fields.
Notes on University Graduation Requirements (UGR):
- 60 upper-division credits are required to graduate (this major has 25)–please see your Physics advisor or Department Chair;
- a Senior Capstone/Senior Thesis class is a university requirement for graduation–please see your Physics advisor or Department Chair;
- two years of a single high school foreign language or one year of a single college-level foreign language is required.
|Required Physics Courses|
|PHYS 151||GENERAL PHYSICS I||4|
|PHYS 152||GENERAL PHYSICS II||4|
|PHYS 153||GENERAL PHYSICS III||4|
|PHYS 221||GENERAL PHYSICS IV||4|
|PHYS 361||CLASSICAL MECHANICS I||4|
|PHYS 371||QUANTUM PHYSICS I: INTRODUCTION||4|
|Required Laboratory Courses|
|PHYS 161||MECHANICS LABORATORY||1|
|PHYS 162||HEAT AND OPTICS LABORATORY||1|
|PHYS 163||ELECTRONICS LABORATORY I||1|
|PHYS 263||ELECTRONICS LABORATORY II||1|
|Required Supporting Courses|
|MATH/HONS 161||CALCULUS I||5|
|MATH 162||CALCULUS II||5|
|MATH 163||CALCULUS III||5|
|Electives–any 300- or 400-level PHYS course except PHYS 390 or PHYS 497 may be chosen as electives.||17|
University Competencies and Proficiencies
- Minimum Credits—180 cumulative credit hours
- 60 upper-division credits (300 level or above)
- 45 credits in residence (attendance) at Eastern, with at least 15 upper-division credits in major in residence at Eastern
- Minimum Cumulative GPA ≥2.0
All admitted students must officially Declare a Major by the time they reach 90 credits (junior standing).
Application for Graduation (use EagleNET) must be made at least two terms in advance of the term you expect to graduate (undergraduate and post-baccalaureate).
Use the Catalog Archives to determine two important catalog years.
SOAR calculates based on these two catalog years.
- The catalog in effect at the student's first term of current matriculation is used to determine BACR (Breadth Area Credit Requirements) and UGR (Undergraduate Graduation Requirements).
- The catalog in effect at the time the student declares a major or minor is used to determine the program requirements.
Students who successfully earn a BA in Physics from EWU should be able to do the following:
- demonstrate knowledge of the basic concepts of physics (such as mechanics, thermodynamics and electricity and magnetism);
- make and interpret laboratory measurements in physics;
- write effectively using the language of physics.