Public Policy and Administration Certificate, Undergraduate
The Certificate in Policy Administration is intended for students who are interested in pursuing a graduate level education in an applied field. Completion of the 44 credit certificate provides a sharply focused view of policy implementation and application within the American system of government. In addition, the certificate provides students the opportunity to receive advanced placement standing within EWU’s Master’s Program in Public Administration. Students who complete the certificate will be required to take 36 credits of MPA core courses instead of the normally required 40 and will be required to complete 10 elective credits, rather than the usually required 20.
All required courses for the certificate must be completed at EWU, transfer credits will not be accepted for certificate completion. Completion of this certificate will also satisfy the minor requirement for students completing majors where a minor is required. These credits are required to qualify for the Advanced Standing MPA Program.
- Acceptance to the certificate program requires that the student have a cumulative GPA ≥3.0 in all courses at EWU and the approval of the certificate coordinator.
- All courses within the certificate must have a minimum cumulative GPA ≥3.3.
- In no course required for the certificate can the student receive a grade <B.
|Political Science Requirements|
|POLI 330||FEDERALISM, STATE AND LOCAL POLITICS||5|
|POLI 332||THE U.S. PRESIDENCY||5|
|POLI 333||PUBLIC MANAGEMENT||5|
|Statistics Requirements–meets MPA statistics background requirement.|
|CSBS 320||STATISTICS FOR THE SOCIAL SCIENCES||5|
|or MATH 380||ELEMENTARY PROBABILITY AND STATISTICS|
|TCOM 205||INTRODUCTION TO TECHNICAL COMMUNICATION||5|
|ECON 200||INTRODUCTION TO MICROECONOMICS||5|
|ECON 450||PUBLIC FINANCE AND PUBLIC POLICY||5|
|Choose one of the following||5|
|ENVIRONMENTAL ECONOMICS AND POLICY|
|URBAN AND REGIONAL ECONOMICS|
|Exit Synthesis Requirement|
|PADM 507||PUBLIC POLICY ANALYSIS||5|
Students who successfully earn a Public Policy and Administration Certificate from EWU should be able to do the following:
- acquire an understanding of the institutional, political, legal and economic processes of the United States;
- acquire an understanding of the public policies of the U.S. and the ways in which they are created by and carried out through political and economic processes;
- demonstrate an ability to analyze political and economic phenomena through oral and written communication skills in public presentations, written reports and documents.